VAR stars in Real Valladolid's draw with Villarreal
Real Valladolid and Villarreal played out a 1-1 draw at the Estadio Jose Zorrilla on Saturday but it was VAR that took centre stage.
The hosts went ahead on 15 minutes after Sandro Ramirez seized on a wayward ball from Manu Trigueros before setting up Ruben Alcaraz to strike home on the volley.
It should have been 2-0 for Valladolid shortly after, as Sandro was through on goal with just Sergio Asenjo to beat, but the former Barcelona striker inexplicably missed.
Popular Villarreal Live News
- Football rumours from the media 2020-02-11 09:07:06
- The trial for the Miami game, this Wednesday 2020-02-12 09:07:03
- Villarreal's Style of Play Shown Using Stats 2020-02-19 09:07:02
- ET Football: Brahmas place four on TSWA 3A all-state first team 2020-02-13 17:07:04
- Chelsea make Sancho contact, Man Utd £60m decision, Arsenal call Villarreal star 2020-02-16 09:07:02
It was a different story in the second half, as the visitors began to take control, and they were soon level when Gerard Moreno converted from close range.
The goal was initially ruled out by the referee for an alleged foul by Vicente Iborra but, after a review of the pitchside monitor, he reversed his decision.
Despite the award of the goal being correct, the decision incensed the hosts who lost their cool and subsequently began to commit a series of fouls which interrupted the flow of the game.
Villarreal dominated the closing stages but it was Valladolid who came closest to pinching all three points at the end, yet Mohammed Salisu's header went just wide.