Sportiello's passionate celebration at Mestalla
On Tuesday, Atalanta confirmed that had become their first player to test positive for coronavirus.
The goalkeeper was a surprise starter in the club's second leg against Valencia at Mestalla in the Champions League on March 10 and was one of the most active players in celebrating the victory.
Atalanta travelled to Valencia on March 9, using the Manises airport, meeting journalists and fans and playing the match as normal.
Popular Atalanta B.C. Live News
- Football: Ronaldo sets scoring record but Juventus fall in Verona 2020-02-09 10:05:05
- Serie A 2019/20: Fiorentina vs Atalanta – tactical analysis 2020-02-10 20:05:04
- Atalanta has 103 players on the payroll, 54 of them on loan 2020-02-19 02:05:04
- Sports programming of the week, on TV: schedule guide 2020-02-17 04:05:04
- Atalanta 4-1 Valencia: Italians start Champions League knockouts in style at San Siro 2020-02-20 04:05:02
Gian Piero Gasperini named Sportiello in goal, with Pierluigi Gollini out injured, and the 27-year-old played the full 90 minutes.
Five days later, Valencia announced that three of their players - Ezequiel Garay, Jose Gaya and Eliaquim Mangala - had tested positive for COVID-19 along with representative Paco Camarasa and doctor Alberto Aliaga.
Los Che then reported 24 hours later that 35 percent of people tested at the club had tested positive as well.
The entire Atalanta squad immediately went into self-isolation as a precaution, with the two-week spell meant to end on March 27.
Now, the Bergamo club have announced that Sportiello has tested positive for coronavirus and his teammates will remain in self-isolation until Friday.