Guardiola admits shock at 'incredible' Liverpool lead
Guardiola admits shock at ‘incredible’ Liverpool lead
has admitted that he never expected to build up such a huge lead over his side in the Premier League title race.
The on Sunday ensured that Jurgen Klopp’s side will return to action against Norwich City following their winter break with their 22-point lead at the summit still intact.
Popular Norwich City Live News
- Exclusive: Celtic plot summer move to sign forward who cost £10m in 2018 2020-02-08 00:00:00
- Norwich City 0-1 Liverpool: Reds' march on thanks to magnificent Mane 2020-02-15 23:47:13
- Todd Cantwell says Tottenham stadium is the best he has played in 2020-02-11 09:47:02
- Jack Grealish, Nathan Ake, Wilfried Zaha - five players tipped to sign for Arsenal this summer 2020-02-09 21:47:02
- Leicester City Star James Maddison 'Wants To Join' Manchester United 2020-02-14 21:47:02
Guardiola’s side have accumulated the two highest points totals in Premier League history over the previous two seasons, securing back-to-back titles with 100 points in 2017/18 and 98 points last term when they won their last 14 games on the bounce to edge out the Reds by a single point.
But such has been Liverpool’s dominance this campaign, the title race never really got going, and the Anfield side now just need 18 more points to secure their first Premier League title.
It’s a level of dominance that Guardiola admits he could not have envisaged.
Quoted by the National, he said: “We have a big rival 22 points ahead and that’s not good.
“We did something incredible and Liverpool is doing it now.
“We cannot deny the distance is big: 22 points. We didn’t expect it but we have to respect it.”
In 2018, City finished the Premier League season 25 points ahead of Liverpool, which currently represents a 47-point swing between the respective clubs’ fortunes.
He added: “Two years ago, we were 25 points ahead of them.